View complete fotopage
View complete fotopage
|Monday, 8-May-2006 05:43
||Email | Share | Bookmark
Had a couple of apples left so didn't know what to do with it. Browsing my favourite cooking website, Allrecipes.com I stumbled across an Apple Pie recipe yang sgt simple and senanggg dibuat Apelagi che mek oi...kita pon try la kan
Here's the recipe:
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
115 g unsalted butter
35 g all-purpose flour
100 g white sugar
110 g packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of all spice
1/2 teaspoon of ground clove
60 ml water
8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
How to make:
1. Melt butter in a sauce pan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add white sugar, brown sugar,spices and water; bring to a boil. Reduce temperature, and simmer 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work of crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
3. Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes.
For the crust, I didn't buy those ready-made crust pie. Instead I made one myself:
120ml icy cold water
How to make:
*Measure and chill all the ingredients in the fridge before you work with it.
1. Place flour and salt in a clean bowl.
2. Cut out you butter into small cubes. ( If you're using shortening, make sure the shortening is well chilled-maybe a bit keras la, but that's OK and just scoop it using spoon into small lumps )
3. Insert the butter into the flour and using the tips of your finger, pinch the butter into the mixture until you get small lumps no smaller than the size of a pea (kacang pis) If you have a pastry cutter, then use that to mix the butter and the flour.
4. Pour in the water a bit at a time, gently mixing it with the flour using a fork or a spoon. If you need to use your hands, avoid handling the dough too much.
5. Split dough into 2 equal rolls and wrap in a plastic wrap and chill for at least 30mins to an hour.
6. Take out the dough from the fridge and dust your working surface, your rolling pin and the top of the dough with some flour. Start rolling at the center of the dough and work outwards. The size of the circle should be about four inches wider in diameter than the pan.
7. A trick for getting the dough positioned in the pan correctly is to fold the dough in half and then into quarters. Gently pick it up and place it into the pan so that the center point is in the center of the pan.
8. Press the crust firmly into the pan and trim any excess dough from the edge. Leave a 1/2 inch flap of dough around the edge for fluting or to use when sealing on the top crust.
TIPS for a delicious crust:
1. MAKE SURE you chill all the ingredients before using it. Chilling will prevent the fat pieces from dissolving into the flour. Bila butter nya cair, nanti kulit pie nye jadik keras
2. When mixing the butter into the flour, handle it as little as possible. I used to make the mistake of mixing the butter to much and end up kulit pie nye tak jadi rapuh instead keras gile2. Even kalau ketulan butter masih kelihatan, it's OK! That's what makes the pie crust crispy later on.
3. Masa campur butter and tepung tu, kalau agak2 butternya dah start cair, masukkan dlm fridge for a while then baru sambung balik gaul.
4. To make a crust yg lebih flaky, mula roll out the dough atas ke bwh supaya dia memanjang ( bukan membulat). Then lipat bhgn atas ke tgh, and bhgn bwh ke tgh jugak. Terbalikkan dough and roll ke atas& ke bwh lagi. Ulang proses melipat sekali lagi and wrap dlm palstic wrap. Simpan dlm fridge for 1 hour. **Peringatan: Proses ni dibuat lepas dough dah digaul & disimpan dlm fridge for at least 30mins**
5. And the most basic tip of all time bila buat pie:
MAKE IT COLD, BAKE IT HOT!
The ingredients for the dough should be chilled and so does the filling ( jgn plak isi inti die panas2..kang abes cair dough nye sebelum sempat bakar ) and bila bakar make sure the oven is preheated and guna suhu yg tinggi utk bakar.
I did a lattice work for the top of my pie. Cara dia cam menganyam tikar tu Senang jer Best kalau makan pie die time dia suam2 panas and scoop some vanilla ice cream on top and letak strawberry jam( or any berries would do! )..adussssss! enak! hihihi
a quote I got from Mama's loyal visitor about apple:
".. an apple a day keeps the doctor away...an apple muffin a day...?? ( in this case, an apple pie ) keeps the dentist smiling all the way to the bank.." -Jeff
...betul gak tu...patut la kayo-kayo dentist skrg ek
( recipe courtesy of : Grandma's Ople Apple Pie of Allrecipes.com )
** Mama >> bile lagi mama..hehe..meh cepat buat lasagna meh
** Azeemah >> haah yek..tak pernah try la pulak kita buat seafood lasagna..asik dok daging sokmo..thanks for the idea. Nx time bleh try
** rossya >> lasagna mmg best makan ramai2..kalu ngadap sorg mmg tak terhabes la jawabnye
**didiz >> lasagna ni rasanya byk jual kat kedai pizza.. I like Domino's punye tapi RM9 for a small piece..aduh, baik la buat sendri belajar tu idok le..sendiri testing2 ade la..hehe