View complete fotopage
View complete fotopage
|Thursday, 3-Aug-2006 11:10
||Email | Share | Bookmark
The whole day to myself
Hari ni bangun pagi, threw the trash out, pastuh sambung tido sbb tak cukup tido the night before. End up waking up for good at 10++am, made some breakfast for me and Zairul. He had his presentation thingy at school from noon, so I made a brunch for him instead.
And then, I had the whole afternoon to myself..malas nak kuar rumah cause it was Daaanggg HOT outside. Stayed in, browsed a couple of new things to try Found a couple of recipes that simple enough to try, and sufficient to the amount of stuff I have in my fridge.
Made 3 things today; a pie, some cookies and a wonderful dessert ( to go with the pie ) The pie was actually an original, and I call it my "Leftovers Pie" - so based on the name I guess you can tell what's inside the pie huh? Yup, some leftovers from yesterday's lunch; the sweet&sour sauce from the fish. Had those pureed ( the whole thing- veggies,pineapples,the sauce ) and boiled some baby potatoes I had lying around in the kitchen, some chunks of chicken, sauted in red onions&garlic, cheese and baked it in my favourite pie crust recipe. Again, really easy to make, and it's kinda hard to give out the recipe sbb I used what leftovers I had left in the fridge. So, what your pie might look like depends totally on what's left from yesterday's dinner/lunch
My Leftovers Pie
But if you still wanna give it a try, here's basicaly what I put in the pie:
(the base of the pie)
Baby potatotes, boiled and skin peeled off
Chicken breast chunks, sauted in red onions & garlics with dry herbs, lemon juice and honey
Sauce for the topping: You can use any sauce that u want. It will totally go with the chicken.
And after that, I made meself some cookies too. The original recipe was called 'Pecan Sandies' but sinced I didn't have any pecans, and only had some slice & whole almonds, I used that instead. So, my cookie is called 'Almond Sandies' instead. Here's the recipe: ( I altered it a bit )
My Almond Sandies
100 g margarine/butter , softened
80 ml vegetable oil ( I used canola oil )
50 g white sugar
50g brown sugar
50 g confectioners' sugar, sifted
3 ml vanilla extract
250 g all-purpose flour
2 g baking soda
2 g cream of tartar
3 g salt
70 g sliced almonds
* 50 g white sugar for decoration
How to make:
1. Cream together margarine/butter, oil and sugar until smooth. Add in egg and vanilla essence.
2. Sift together dry ingredients and then add to the cream mixture. Mix well and add in the almond slices.
3. Roll dough into balls, and place on baking sheets. Sprinkle the sugars on top of the cookies and bake in a preheated oven of 190 deg for 10-15minutes.
Easy! And not to forget, delicious too
AND, after that I made another dessert, which was a Panna Cotta, a milk-pudding served with fruit compote..
|Panna cotta is an Italian phrase, literally translating to "cooked cream". Generally refers to a creamy, set Italian dessert from the Northern Italian region of Piedmont. It is not generally known exactly how or when this dessert came to be, but some theories estimate that cream (for which this region is famous) was historically eaten plain or sweetened with fruit. After years this treat evolved into what is now a gelatin-thickened custard, flavored with vanilla, fruit, or spices and served chilled. -source: Wikipedia- Panna Cotta|
My Panna Cotta
I found the recipe after browsing thru some cooking websites and this is the one I used, with a little bit of altering
Here's the recipe:
1 cup whipping cream ( I used low fat )
2 cups whole milk
2 tbsp gelatin ( I brought some from Msia nak ganti with agar2 oso can but make it 1 tbsp more)
1 cup white sugar
vanilla beans ( kalau ada )
a few drops of vanilla essence
How to make:
1. Dissolve the gelatin with 1/4 cup of water. Meanwhile in a pot, add together whipping cream ( liquid ) or u can use heavy cream/fresh cream, whole milk, sugar and vanilla.
2. Bring to a boil but be careful not to let it spill. Add in the dissolved gelatin and reduce the heat to medium. Boil for another 3-5minutes.
3. Strain over strainer and pour into pudding cups, glass. Chill in the freezer.
4. For fruit compote: You can use fresh fruits or frozen ones. I used frozen raspberries & blueberries, crush with some sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of water. You can also puree the fruits or eat it as whole, according to ur own taste buds la kan
This is by far the EASIEST dessert I have ever made! And the taste is very delicate, smooth and delicious. Easy to make, takes less than 5 things to make it, serves well and best of all, the taste is never a dissapointment! Sangat disyorkan for those emergency nights of wanting to come up with a great dessert but don't have the time to make a fancy one A 5-star recipe
So there you go, 3, well... 2 new recipes for the day No cooking dinner for tonight though..I'm kinda exhausted from all the cooking today
As for the gelatin thingy, you can ganti with powder agar2; 3 tbsp of 'em and nak guna agar2 biasa tu pon boleh. I'm not sure of the correct amount, so sapa nak pakai agar2 tu kena pandai agak2 la yer
Signing off to watch tv. Later!
|I feel very comot today |
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -